This is one of Lynn’s recipes, she has been making this for years and years. She as kindly let me share it with you!
175g Plain Chocolate
3 tbsp Brandy
1 tbsp Coffee & Chicory Essence
5 Eggs, Separated
250g Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Instant coffee powder
1 tbsp Boiling Water
284ml Double Cream, Whipped
1 tbsp Icing Sugar
Sifted icing sugar
- Preheat oven at 180oc, or Gas Mark 4.
- Place the chocolate, brandy and coffee essence in a pan and heat gently until the chocolate has melted.
- Beat the egg yolks with the caster sugar until thick and creamy, then fold in the warm chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Turn mixture into a lined and greased 20 x 30cm Swiss Roll tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until firm.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then cover with a clean damp cloth and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Carefully remove the cloth and turn the roulade out onto a sheet of greaseproof paper, sprinkle thickly with icing sugar. Peel off lining paper.
- Dissolve the coffee in the water, cool, then fold into the cream with the sugar. Spread evenly over the roulade and roll up like you would a Swiss roll.
- Lynn like to decorate hers with whipped cream, raspberries and strawberries. You can decorate yours however you like.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Enjoy